Monday, December 27, 2010

Recovering from Boxing Day

direct from the perch:

Yesterday, upon awakening, I was informed by the FSM that the Spaz was in a good mood because it was her favorite holiday-- Boxing Day. This is understandable for a joey. We celebrated with leftos and a long walk along the beach. The beach always puts Kaz to sleep.

Funny conversation with K's hubby, who doesn't like the sea. I would like to live long enough to get him in the kayak some day. When you've swum since before you remember yourself, as we say here, and you feel like the sea is better than the sidewalk, it's strange to meet someone who doesn't even want to get his feet wet! The sibs and I can't wait to wash the heat away and race into the water. At the Preveza "Dog Beach" (thus named because I let the dog swim there), I swam in my underwear because I couldn't resist, and the Dapster pulled her skirt up as high as decency allowed and waded around. Kazzie starts swimming lessons next month and we believe she'll take to the water, too, so with so much pressure, maybe her Baba will give in and give it a try on waveless days.

I spoke of leftos. What did we have left over, you wonder? Well, here are some images of the Christmas prep. Nick oversaw the lamb, of course.

G made old village-recipe white bread and several loaves of whole wheat with flour from the water mill. He also drove out to this crazy spring and got the famous spring water which comes straight from Mt Helmos and used this in the recipes. The potatoes also went into the outside oven.
And whoever wasn't on a ton of medication or breastfeeding imbibed spirits from our local organic winery.

Later, Kazzie opened her (monogrammed!) stocking, which Dap and I had ordered from the UK. So, of course, we chose the name! Here she is checking out her teddy bear, which Grandpa Nick hadn't noticed says Sakis Rouvas on the tshirt! K fears Kazzie may enter the mainstream way too soon with such toys. So much for making the poor little thing listen to Kosmos Radio all the time, Mummy.

Our Christmas-day walk to the source of the life-giving smell did not produce the smell, but was otherwise wonderful. The Spaz and I enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. BIL/Baba pushed us far up and down hills and got a crazy holiday workout. Until somebody had to shove my inert self up and down those inclines/declines, I never realized how many there were on that walk!

Tomorrow the men hit the city so George can meet with his surgeon. We will update you if appropriate. The ladies remain on the perch to hold down the fort and protect it from GYPSIES!!! (coming soon)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pic of Kathy and Kazzie!

Rachel said...

Sometimes it takes kids a while to get into stuffed animals (cute pic by the way!) It took N a couple years. J loved them right away, the furrier the better (more like real cats!)

It's great that K is going to be learning to swim soon. Good to get that out of the way so she don't develop a fear of water. My mom takes N to lessons weekly because she got sick of nagging me to do it :) I didn't know how I'd handle a toddler and a baby in a locker room or the pool. But now it's their special activity.

Rachel said...

Oh and also I want that outdoor oven. Need. And all the food pictured outside it. G can use water from our Brita pitcher because I don't think melted snow water from Mt Trashmore here would suffice. Thanks.

Meredith said...

Wish I could join you guys at the ocean. Wow, I do hope that bro-in-law will develop a love of the sea- I can't picture anyone not taking joy in the Mediterranean! I miss you and am glad you are hanging out with Kaz and the gang. Sorry to hear about G's need for surgery but sounds as if he is in good hands.
love you! and happy new year to all.