Saturday, May 15, 2010

larger-scale rejection

Sickie news of the week in brief: got rejected after 2 days in hospital, couldn't go through with surgery due to very low whites and platelets. Values had tanked for no reason from ten days previously. Went back to haematologists to figure it out. Had bone marrow biopsy. Initial glance shows cancer hasn't spread to bones. Back on another type of 'roid to see if my own immune system is attacking my blood cells. Will find out in 5 days...End of sickie update.

I always think of things I want to mention in this blog but when I sit down to write, they either seem unimportant (more unimportant than some of the things I write about? ¿es posible?) or I forget them. One thing I could say is that at this moment I am procrastinating cooking. I am going to make shepherd's pie. This is something I assume is simple to make and has the ingredients I have on hand (basically ground beef and potatoes, I think). I have never made it before. Cross your fingers because I'm starting to get very hungry.

Remember I mentioned that ice tower? It was almost worth spending two days in the hospital next to a woman with no manners to see a tower of ice in the middle of a heat wave.


That partial oil drum in the first picture gives you an idea of the size of the thing. Isn't it cool?

[Just learned shepherd's pie is supposed to be made with lamb...will find a recipe with beef...found one...all is well]

Since this is a random post I will now show you pics of the 'rents' trellis two weeks ago. By the way, all pics taken on the mobile so quality is dubious. You will be proud to know I managed to upload them onto the computer by myself.

The roses are already amazing this year. In other gardening news, the plants on my balcony have been joined by a pot of rosemary (A sprig of fresh rosemary is crucial for the chicken pot pie variation I make constantly.) and a pot of thyme. The plants on the balcony are perking up thanks to my exciting new purchase, the coily, spring-like hose! With multiple-function attachment. Besides making it very easy to water the plants, I can use it to spray my downstairs neighbor, the nasty cheap-cigar smoker, whom G saw getting into the elevator the other day with five boxes of stogies!!! Needless to say, I slept with the balcony doors closed that night. Nasty, nasty man.

I'm so hungry that I'm starting to get a headache so I bid ye hasta lou. If the shepherd's pie comes out any good, I will probably boast about it in my next post. If you don't hear about it, you'll know why.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so, how did it turn out? i love shepherd's pie. the only people i ever knew to make it w/lamb were australian. the irish like it with beef.

Sir Louris W. Badderson said...

Brilliant! Very tasty. I think it would be good with lamb, too, but what a pain in the ass to get ground lamb. I made it in a cast-iron pan and then put the whole pan in the oven, so it was very easy with minimal clean-up. I made it the next day, too, for my mom, sister and bro-in-law. Thanks for asking!